Sunday, December 28, 2008

Aunt Summer's French Toast Casserole

My wonderful sister, Summer, sent me this recipe. I ask her if I could pass it on and she graciously said yes. I thought that with New Year's coming up, this would be a great one to make Wednesday and have in the refrigerator for Thursday morning......

Ingredients:

*Italian bread (I used chaballah bread or Hawaiian) large loaf
*6 eggs
*1 & 1/2 c half & half
*1 & 1/2 c milk
*1 tsp vanilla
*1 tsp cinnamon
*dash of nutmeg

Butter a 9x13 baking dish. Slice bread 3/4" - 1" pieces. Arrange bread slices in pan. Mix eggs, vanilla, milk, 1/2 & 1/2, cinnamon & nutmeg in large bowl. Pour over bread. Cover w/plastic wrap or foil & refrigerate overnight.

Topping:

*1 stick butter, softened
*1 c brown sugar
*1 & 1/2 c blueberries or strawberries-i used strawberries & they were amazing! Rinsed, sliced, & thawed.

Next morning, liberally sprinkle fruit on top of bread. Mix butter & brown sugar w/pastry blender or fork. Sprinkle topping over fruit & bread mixture.

Bake for 40 min @350 degrees.

*I only put the fruit on 1/2 of it & it was delicious!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made the french toast for tomorrow morning. We will see how it turns out. :-)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I tried the french toast and it was a bit of a disaster. It sat in the fridge for two days instead of overnight, I'm thinking that may have been the problem. I will try it again next time we have all three kids. Does the kind of bread make a difference?

Heather said...

I don't think that the bread should make any difference. It probably just sat too long...you don't want your bread to turn to mush. I have also seen a recipe using Croissants....you just use them whole or sliced in half....might give that a try. But definetly try to do it the next morning if possible :)